WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE IJEBU PEOPLE?
The Yoruba people are very special set of people among whom are the Ijebus. Here are some amazing facts about the Ijebu people. Enjoy!
1. They were the first people to have had contact with the Europeans in the 14th century.
2. They were the first to be educated through
3. It is the largest Ethnic group in Nigeria.
4. First people to manufacture gears of wars in the history of Nigeria.
5. First people to contend the slavery extortion in the region.
6. The first people to invent money made from cowry shell, later made Coin called “PANDORO”, which became acceptable through Africa and Europe.
7. They were the first to settle in Lagos and Ibadan.
8. It is the only tribe in Nigeria that has its origin from the biblical days.
9. According to the Biblical account; the Jebusites were a Canaanite tribe who inhabited and built Jerusalem prior to its conquest by King David.
10. They were the first indigenous CLERK to European missionaries.
11. The Europeans Observers found them more intelligent than the other groups in Nigeria.
12. When Oduduwa was blind, Ijebu King (fifth Awujale) was the one to provide remedy to restore the sight.
13. They are known for sociality, integrity, and Handwork.
14. They were the one to raise agitation for emancipation from colonialism.
15. King Orimolusi was the second Oba appointed by colonial master for the London conference in 1957 to negotiate the Nigerian Independence.
16. Chief Obafemi Awolowo was the first individual in the modern era to be named Leader of the Yorubas (Asiwaju Omo Oodua). He was an Ijebu man.
17. The richest black woman in the world, Mrs Folorunsho Alakija, is an Ijebu woman from
18. Ijebu man was the first Nigerian to play in the English premier league in early 60s.
19. Mike Adenuga, an Ijebu man was the first Nigerian to single handedly own Oil, Mining and Telecomunication (GLO).
20. Late Haruna Ishola was the first musician to perform outside the shores of Nigeria.
IJEBUS ARE INDUSTRIOUS!
21. Ijebu man,Chief SO Shonibare Also Chief Shakirudeen Olarewaju Kazeem (Shokas) are the first Nigerians to own a housing estate (called Shonibare estate in Lagos. And Shokas Estate/Bobagunwa Castle) of about 40 mansions in Ijebu-Igbo.
22. Ijebu man, late Chief Kuti (Abusi Odumare) from Ijebu-Igbo was the first Nigerian to be banned from building further houses in Lagos having owned about 100 upstairs in Shomolu and Ebute Meta!
23. Also, Chief Isamosta Ashiru was banned from building further houses in Ibadan having owned 99% of houses on Ososami street, Ibadan (left and right)!
24. Ijebu man, late Chief Abayomi Adeyemi was the first Nigerian contractor to built about seven housing estates of Federal Govt. He has about 60 personal houses in Lagos alone!
AND EVEN MORE..
25. Waoh, a man of Ijebu origin was enthroned as Olubadan of Ibadanland!
26. An Ijebu woman (a potter), Bilikisu Sugbo was traced to the Biblical Queen of Sheba as wife to King Pharaoh!
27. Ijebu has a major farm settlement that generated hundreds of millions of naira through palm oil processing (Apoje Farm settlement) for the government.
28. It has produced so many musical icons like Haruna Ishola (Ijebu-Igbo), Y.K. Ajadi (Ijebu-Igbo), Popular Jingo, Batuli Alake, Wasiu Ayinde K1, Adewale Ayuba, Musiliu Haruna Ishola, Kolade Onanuga, Salawa Abeni , Wale Thomson, etc.
29. The first black man to publish an indigenous bible with dictionary and concordance was an ijebu man (Rev. Dr. Bazil Kayode Balogun ).
30. The Doyen of Theatre, Late Chief Hubert Adedeji Ogunde was an Ijebu man from Ososa.
Surely, the Ijebus are great people!