– Presidency has asked pop star 2baba what his grievance is with Buhari’s government
The Presidency has reacted to the planned nationwide protest against the Buhari-led APC government scheduled to hold on the 6th of February 2017 and spearheaded by pop star and African Queen crooner, Innocent Idibia, popularly called, 2face.
The Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Electronic Media, Lauretta Onochie has, Tuesday, called on the pop star to come on national TV to state his “beef with Pres. Buhari” instead of going on national newspapers to make his grievances known.
According to her: “Nigerians would like 2Baba to explain the policies that he’s not happy with on National LIVE TV, as well as proffer alternative economic policies that would better serve all Nigerians. Not on newspapers that could have been written by anyone.”
READ ALSO: E O So Ooto Nipa Awon Iko Boko Baram ooo, Fayose Pariwo Mo Ijoba Buhari
However, in what seems like a response to the Presidency, 2Baba, in a statement he made available to newsmen on Tuesday, said that “the people have hoped for a better Nigeria since 1999 but things are not getting any better for the majority. We are still where we are – poor and desperate.
I will no longer be quiet” Thanking Enough is Enough, the 2Baba Foundation, his fellow artistes and Nigerians fully in support of the protest the star allayed the fear of some that he might have been influenced by some political machinations, saying the protest is not a platform for politician or labour unions to manipulate.
“It is not a platform for politicians of any party to manipulate. I know you will still spin it but for one second leave your battles aside and just listen to people without trying to score cheap political points against one another. It is not a point scoring exercise.
It is certainly not personal. It is not an organized labour platform. With all due respect to our comrades who have done much for Nigeria, this march is for the unrepresented. It is not a ‘my religion or tribe is better than yours’ matter.
All our blood is red. I, Innocent Idibia, am a living example of a Nigerian who owes their success to Nigerians of every tribe and religion. None ask what religion or tribe I am before supporting me. I am grateful.”
Meanwhile, the Lagos state police commissioner, Fatai Owoseni on Wednesday said he will not allow the planned protest against the Federal Government slated for February 5 to hold in the state.
Popular musician, TuFace Idibia who joined the call for protest by some concerned Nigerians over the state of the nation, had used his social media platforms to appeal to his supporters to join the movement.
But Owoseni, who had earlier stated that there was no official request from the protesters notifying security agencies of their plan, said Wednesday that intelligence report indicates that criminals might hijack the process.
According to the police chief, the command wasn’t ready for that kind of demonstration and as such would not allow it to hold.
He said no matter how good an intention is, hoodlums would always find a way to harass, rob and attack innocent members of the public, who may wish to go about their Lawful duty.
Owoseni said: “Information reaching us revealed that some hoodlums are planning to hijack the peaceful protest. And as such, we won’t allow it to hold in Lagos. We know that Tuface do not have the capacity to contain such a crowd and we will not fold our hands and watch while things go out of hand.”
At a press conference held earlier in the week, Owoseni said: “The Civil Society had said that they do not need police permission to carry out any peaceful protest, but they should also be aware that there might be those who share an opposing view. This set of persons may want to disrupt the peaceful demonstration and would want to attack demonstrators.
“This is why we advise individuals or group of persons who may wish to embark on civil demonstration to inform the police so that adequate security arrangement would be provided.”